Hose pipes are essential for every garden and lawn and finding the best hose pipe that suits you and your garden doesn't have to be overwhelming. To keep your grass looking fresh year-round, it is good to give it some extra love and hydration - especially in the warmer, dryer months. Keeping your lawn hydrated is just as important as using your lawn mower. Plus, you can also tend to your car and mucky pet as well if you get the right hose pipe and sprinkler attachments.
We have put together a list of the best hose pipes for your gardening needs so you can get the job done as quickly and efficiently as possible without filling up a watering can or bucket. We have also listed some factors to consider before taking the leap and purchasing.
Black Friday deals on hose pipes
We interrupt the regularly scheduled content to let you know that although Black Friday is over, there's still time to grab some last chance Black Friday deals on hose pipes. These are the retailers that still have deals available or keep scrolling to continue reading our buyer’s guide.
50% off: Flexi Hose Upgraded Expandable Garden Hose WAS £43.99, NOW £21.99
29% off: Garden Hose Expandable Garden Pipes-150FT WAS £44.99, NOW £29.79
17% off: 10M Portable Garden Hose Reel 7 Function Hose Pipe Spray Gun WAS £11.99, NOW £9.99
15% off: Monument Tools Drain Down Hose 15m WAS £39.98, NOW £33.98
30% off: LUFENG UPGRADED Expandable Hose 150FT WAS £56.99, NOW £39.99
When browsing for a suitable hose pipe, it is good to consider a few important factors, such as whether is it built to last. Is it easy to use and control? Can it be stored easily? Is it fixed to the wall or mobile? We have researched with careful consideration to help you choose the right option for you - scroll down to check out the advice in our FAQ section.
Best hose pipes at a glance
• Best hose with a storage reel for flexibility: Hozelock Compact 2in1 Reel - View on Amazon UK
• Best overall: Gardena Classic wall-fixed Hose Reel - View on Amazon UK
• Best hose with a storage reel for small gardens: Hozelock Pico Reel - View on Amazon UK
Best hose pipes with storage reel UK
Best hose with a storage reel for flexibility
This reel hose from Hozelock is a great pick if you are looking for a hassle-free option. With a
- Easy to use
- Value for money
- Some customers had difficulty assembling it
Best hose with a storage reel for a wall-fixture
This mountable wall hose from Gardena is a great option with two uses: it can be used as a hose
- Can be both wall-mounted or freestanding
- Kink-proof hose
- With a longer hose some customers have difficulty with the hose jamming as they wind it up
Best hose with a storage reel for small gardens
If you are looking for a garden hose for a small garden or balcony, this Hozelock hose would be
- Small reel is perfect for small gardens
- Easy to wind
- Some customers have had issues with the connectors
Budget hose pipe with reel
Needing a budget patio hose reel, complete with storage? Argos stocks the McGregor 10m pipe at a
- Well reviewed
- Good value
- Compact and easy to store
Best replacement hose pipes UK
Best value hose pipe
This robust, anti-crush hose from Hozelock comes equipped with weatherproof UV material and frost
- Mid-range price and quality
- Soft and flexible
- Some customers have commented that it's not overly durable or temperature resistant
Best budget hose pipe
This affordable option is ideal for any garden, thanks to the variety of lengths it comes in. Its
- Lightweight for a hose
- Value for money
- Great for general use
- It's soft so it will kink if you're unwinding it from a spool
Best hose pipe for starters
Hozelock is a great starter set for any garden as it comes with all the adapters and accessories
- Four layers of braided reinforcement for a durable hose
- UV and frost protection
Best expandable garden hoses
The best hose pipe for multi-functionality
This expandable hose from HOMOZE is efficient and long-lasting due to its anti-bursting and
- Wide range of uses
- Compact for easy storage
- Lightweight and flexible
- Not as robust as a standard hose
Best non-kink expandable hose pipe
This expandable hose is produced from the highest-quality materials, which offers a kink-free,
- Expands and contracts for space-saving storage
- Value for money
- Nozzle has eight spray modes
- Some customers have commented on the quality of the connectors
What to look out for when buying a hose pipe?
It is best to choose a hose made from anti-kink materials as these models are built to withstand harsher weather and ensure longevity. They tend to be the more expensive option but will ultimately save you money in the long run.The construction and design are significant elements to consider. You will want it to be high quality, constructed of rigid material and have a knitted multi-layered design or a ribbed structure.
If you're on the hunt for a hose that will tend to your garden but can also help rinse off your car or clean up your dirty pet, then a hose with an adjustable nozzle would be most suitable for you.
How to prevent hose pipe kinks?
Hose pipe kinks are sometimes inevitable, but there are some ways to try and avoid your hose kinking and cutting off or affecting the water flow. Here are a few tips to help prevent hose pipe kinks:
• When using the hose, unroll it fully to its length. Avoid pulling or dragging the hose sharply, which can cause kinks. When you're done, roll it back up properly without twisting or folding it.
• Avoid creating sharp bends or angles in the hose while it's in use. Kinks often occur at these points. Instead, use wide curves to guide the hose around corners or obstacles.
• After use, store the hose in a straight line or a wide, loose loop. Hanging the hose on a hose hanger or reel can help prevent kinks by maintaining its natural shape.
• High temperatures can soften the hose material and make it more prone to kinking. Store the hose in a shaded area when not in use, and avoid leaving it out in direct sunlight.
• Some hoses are designed with a special construction that reduces the risk of kinking. Look for hoses marketed as "no-kink" or "kink-resistant."
• Use an appropriate water pressure for your hose. High water pressure can increase the likelihood of kinks, so adjust the pressure according to your needs.
What to read next
Discover everything you need to know to make your outside space look fantastic, quickly and
Ellen Kinsey is a senior health and wellness product writer for Modern Gardens, specialising in sustainable living and health. She lives and breathes all things natural health, cooking and nature.