Upcycling is a great way to take something old and give it a new purpose! We love recycling and reusing and this rustic rope shelf craft project is perfect for your garden or your home. Add an instant rustic feel to your outdoor living area and arrange potted flowers on the shelves, or enjoy your new upcycled pallet shelves inside and display any trinkets or houseplants!
What you will need
- Hand saw
- A pallet
- Thick jute twine - you can find this at Hobbycraft
- Clear outdoor varnish - we got ours at Wilkos
- Varnish brush - try this one from Wilkos
What to do
- Saw the wooden slats of the pallet to your desired size of the shelves - you can have as many tiers of shelves as you like, we made ours with two
- Drill two holes in each end of both the shelves, making sure they're big enough to thread the twine through
- Gently sand the shelves to get rid of any rough splinters of wood
- Apply the varnish to the wood and leave to dry as per the instructions on the varnish
- Cut 4 equal pieces of twine to the desired length, keep in mind that you will need enough twine to hang above the first tier of the shelf and then between the first and second tier of shelving.
- Thread the twine through each hole of your bottom shelf and tie a knot into the ends to secure the shelf
- Then decide where you'd like the top shelf to sit and a tie a knot in each piece of twine, at equal heights, for the shelf to sit on
- Thread the twine through the top shelf so it is in place
- Gather all 4 pieces of twine together and tie one big knot at the top to secure the shelves
- Now you're ready to hang your rustic rope shelves in place and decorate with planters or anything else you fancy!